First Internal Examination, August 2012
ENCR 9: LITERARY CRITICISM: THEORY AND PRACTICE
Time: 1 hour Maximum Weight: 13
Answer any five of the following questions in a sentence or two
1. Why are the Naiyayikas considered real bores?
2. Define vyanjana.
3. Who is hailed as the first Romantic critic?
4. Who asserted that srngara is the only rasa?
5. How many bhavas are there according to Bharata?
6. Whom does Sir Philip Sidney praise as the most poetical of all philosophers?
7. Who calls Aristotle “a perfect critic”?
8. Who gave the title Ars Poetica to the text written by Horace?
(5 x 1 = 5)
Answer Question No 11 and one question from 9-10, each in about 100 words
9. Analyse the different interpretations to the word Katharsis.
10. Briefly analyse Coleridge’s achievements as a literary critic.
11. Attempt a critical appreciation of the poem given below:
Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.
(2 x 2 = 4)
Answer any two of the following questions each in about 200 words
12. Explain Wordsworth’s theory of poetry.
13.Explain Bharata’s formula for the evocation of rasa.
(1 x 4 = 4)