Fine Tune Your English
SECTION : I
INTEROGATIVES AND NEGATIVES
Definition: ‘The negative form of a sentence denies what is said in that original sentence’
Ø Constructing the negative form of a sentence is not a difficult exercise, nor is it the easiest of all exercises.
Eg: Many people did not attend the function
- Some examples for negative sentences
- John knows English – John does not know English.
- The information is reliable – The information is not reliable
Question words are pure and simple the primary function is to form questions, but they have other functions as well
What happened between John and you?
- a fool you are?
Which is your favourite dish- fish or meat?
I said which dish would you like to have now?
Take after where the road divides?
There is an Island where migratory birds flock?
Why did you quarrel with him?
Why are you here?
- are you?
Who do you want to see?
How did the function go?
She told me how she managed to escape?
When shall we three meet again?
There are moments in Macbeth’s life when he regrets the caurse he has chosen?
In grammar a question tag is a very short clause at the end of a statement into a question.
- She said half price, didn’t she?
- He is a dark horse, isn’t he?
- Sit down, won’t you?
- A positive sentence is followed by a negative question tag. And a negative statement is followed by a positive question tag.
- He lives with his parents, doesn’t he?
- He doesn't live with his parents, does he?
Department of English, John Paul Memorial College of Arts and Science, Labbakkada, Idukki